Ludum Dare 36: Day 1 Progress

27th August 2016

Read post Similar posts
Top ^

Ludum Dare 36: Day 1 Progress

27th August 2016

LD36 - Day 1 Progress

This is the state of our game after the first day.

Today was quite a slow day in terms of productivity, largely not helped by the fact that we didn’t decide on our final idea until around midday, also not aided by difficulties we had syncing the files we shared on the cloud. However, the picture above shows the progress we’ve made so far.

The main achievements are having:

  • A grid which generates the cells/tiles in a random configuration based on particular parameters, with the cells/tiles locking to positions so that they tessellate perfectly (thanks to my brother for that!);
  • Rudimentary sprites drawn for the various cells/tiles we will be using in the game, as well as starting on more detailed, final sprites (my main contribution);
  • A ball which drops from the top of the screen and travels along the path created by the cells/tiles;
  • Animations on the cells/tiles so that a left click rotates them sixty degrees left, and a right click rotates them sixty degrees right – when they rotate they also expand and then shrink again (a team effort from my brother and myself).

Main points to work on on day 2 are to:

  • Create one or more ball spawners to spawn balls at the top of the screen;
  • Create one or more ‘ball-catchers’ to drop the balls into at the bottom of the screen;
  • Work on finishing the sprites for the cells/tiles;
  • Add a win/lose condition to the game so that it is actually playable;
  • Think about SFX, which would probably be for collisions, as well as when cells/tiles are rotated

It’s been a bit of a strange day, and working with somebody else on a game is something I’ve had to get used to, but it has been largely enjoyable. Ironically, we possibly didn’t actually achieve as much today as we would have done if we were working independently, but we were getting into the swing of things, and I’m sure that tomorrow will be considerably more productive. Hopefully within the next 24 hours we’ll actually have a playable game!